Dear MSC Families,
We are happy to welcome you back to another wonderful year at MSC. September is always an exciting time because it is filled with new hopes and dreams for everyone. One of my favorite things about MSC is spending a great deal of time with faculty thinking about ways that we can further develop the academic and social lives of our students, and what it means to be part of a community.
In “The Schools of Tomorrow” John Dewey explains that schools should focus on educating its students to become future citizens. Schools should provide the information and experienced needed to become informed citizens thus, showing the way on how to play an active role in society.
Here at MSC we work hard to establish democratic classrooms and how to assist our students to develop into stronger citizens. In our conversations we also brainstorm ways that our students and families can be involved in creating a school community that is caring, safe and supportive. We all play an important role in community building.
This year we are committed to help children learn and experience the responsibility attached to citizenship. Just like we teach our children to respect our neighborhoods and the world, we will bring those values inside out building by teaching our students to recycle, care for the environment and not to litter. We are committed to raising student awareness through meetings, modeling and that we need to care for our school environment.
· We will not litter the halls, elevator or bathrooms. As parents you can support our work, and your child’s development, by reminding them to pick up what falls on the floor; paper, food, drink or toys. This is especially important at dismissal. If your child is given a snack please be mindful that there is no eating in the elevator and that any wrappers/food that falls on the floor needs to be picked up.
· Cubbies are in the common area. We have a responsibility to keep our school tidy and that means cubbies need to be tidy.
· Students should clean out cubbies on a daily basis. At the end of the day there should not be paper, sweaters, hats or food left in the cubbies. If there is a caretaker who is responsible for picking up our child, please share this letter with her/him.
· At the end of the day cubbies should be empty. Tote bags, backpacks, instruments, scooters or helmets cannot be parked in cubbies overnight. If you have afterschool plans please take your child’s things with you.
· Once students are dismissed they may not re-enter the school building. Help your child to take all that he/she needs before leaving the building.
· Classrooms will be locked when the teacher leaves. Parents may not re-enter classrooms unless a teacher is in his/her room. This is a DOE policy across the city.
· Art work that is on exhibition should be respected. Help us by reminding children that we can enjoy the artists' work, just as we would in a museum or gallery, by looking and wondering -- but we cannot touch or tear their work.
· Lastly, mornings are a busy time for everyone. Please make sure that if you come into the building with a coffee cup you dispose of it. Please do not leave cups on top of cubbies as we often have coffee spills and teachers then need to tidy up.
Lastly, we have a wonderful school and we would like for that wonder to be evident in our school environment by living our values and principals.
Fredrick Frobel father of Kindergarten said:
On behalf of myself and our wonderful faculty and staff, we’d like to welcome you back! We expect this year to be filled with excitement and wonder.
What is Coming Up…
· Welcome Back to School Picnic in big yard on September 6th at 4:00.
· Curriculum night is September 13th for K-5 from 6:00-7:00 and September 26th: for 6-8 from 6:00-7:00.
· Please have your MSC ID out so you are ready to swipe. There are two entrances, the front and the door by the auditorium. To reduce crowds, please use both.
· Doors in the lobby open at 8:20. Please do not block the entrance. Please make sure the steps are clear so staff can enter.
· Please come to pick up your child on time. K is dismissed in the auditorium, 3-5 in the basement gym, 6-8 are dismissed in front of the building.
· Please come to Chat with Claire on September 19th @ 8:45 in the auditorium. The PTA meeting will be joining.