A reminder that the New York State English Language Arts and Math test will be given soon after our return from spring break. Please note the following schedule:
ELA – Grades 3 through 8
- April 14, 15, and 16 there are three days of ELA testing
- Make up testing for the ELA will begin on April 17 through 21
Math – Grades 3 through 8
- April 22, 23, and 24 – there are three days of Math testing
- Make up for the Math will begin on April 27 through the 29
Tests are only one measure of a student’s learning in school. The MSC community places great value with our ongoing assessments of students’ reading and written responses, as well as on students’ contributions to classroom discussions and project based work. We want each student to have the opportunity to do his/her best and note that teachers in each class have prepared their students to take both the standardized ELA and Math Tests.
Families play an important role. Here are reminders of the kinds of things that you can do to help children feel comfortable on testing days:
· Make sure your child gets plenty of rest and a breakfast that will carry him or her through the school day.
· City and State regulations require teachers to begin each test assessment no later than 9:15 A.M. Students must arrive on time and be in their seats and ready to work by 8:30 A.M. on test days. Please make sure your child arrives at school on time and is ready to work.
· If your child is sick, DO NOT send him or her to school on that day (there are scheduled make up days following the test).
· Test days are days when children need lots of adult support. Hugs and positive words are always in order. The children work hard and deserve our praise.
· Please bring two sharpened “Number 2” pencils to school.
Assistant Principal / Testing Coordinator
Cc: Claire Lowenstein, Principal