Today, Friday, October 31st, our staff reviewed and practiced safety protocol with our students by holding the 1st Soft Lockdown Drill of the year. Please encourage your child/children to talk about what they learned and what concerns they may have.
Participating in emergency preparedness drills empowers our students to feel more in control of situations that might otherwise be frightening and disorienting. As a building, just as we hold Fire Drills, we are required to hold 2 Lockdown Drills.
For your information, here are the Lockdown Drill Protocols:
LOCKDOWN DRILL PROTOCOLS
During a LOCKDOWN DRILL everyone stays in the building and moves to a safety zone.
The following steps will be taken:
- At the signal, (announcement over the loud speaker) teachers/staff will lead the students into their classrooms.
- Teachers/staff CLOSES the classroom doors and turns off the lights.
- Students and teachers/staff move into the Safety Zone within their classrooms (away from the doors and windows).
- Teachers/staff takes up a position with the students that will ensure order, calm.
- Students remain QUIET during the drills.
- When the “all clear” announcement is given, the flow of day resumes.
Tatiana Hoover is our contact person on Emergency Preparedness. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email her at THoover2@schools.nyc.gov